I IGNORE
the mixed reviews and went to see Suicide Squad just before it dropped out of
cinema release. I’d always been a fan of John Ostrander’s gritty 80s series
[see breakout], so I was keen to see whether this flick captured some of that same
flavour.
I’m no Will
Smith fan either, but I was keen to see how Margot Robbie sank her teeth into
the role of Harley Quinn.
Well,
despite some massive plot holes and inconsistent characterisations, I really
liked the movie.
Harley
Quinn is far and away the star of the movie and steals every scene she’s in.
Robbie gets across her care-free insanity and her tragic obsession with The
Joker.
I know some
people didn’t like Jared Leto’s interpretation of the Clown Prince of Crime –
and his more mutual relationship with Harley (unlike the very one-sided nature
of their relationship in the comics) – but I thought Leto’s Joker was
fantastic. Utterly crazy and willing to do anything to get his main squeeze
back.
Will
Smith’s Deadshot was a surprise – I thought he was pretty cool, although his
jump from stone-cold assassin to noble hero in the space of one scene was a bit
hard to swallow.
Amanda
Waller (xxx) was picture-perfect. Cold, brutal – the scene where she shoots all
her staff because “they knew too much” perfectly captured her character.
I was less
impressed with Rick Flag (xxx) who looked disturbingly like CM Punk. In fact,
that though kept bouncing around my head every time he popped up on the screen.
His relationship with June “Enchantress” Moone was the weak point of the flick.
With the
focus heavily on Harley Quinn and Deadshot, the other members of the Suicide
Squad got short shrift, although Captain Boomerang and Killer Croc showed
promise. Katana felt like an after-thought and xxx and xxxx were just there to
get across the “suicide” aspect of the team.
My main
beef with the film’s plot was the fact that the Squad was formed to take on
meta-human threats. But their first mission is to take on one of their own
squad members, Enchantress, gone rogue. So if the squad hadn’t been formed in
the first place, there would have been no world-shattering crisis. Waller
created the problem AND the solution.
Hmmmm…a
more paranoid observer might think she did it deliberately. Sneaky bitch, huh.
Then again,
if I was a high-ranking government official and saw one of Waller’s crew nearly
destroy a city, I might just recommend they withdraw the Squad’s funding and
have her fat arse fired. Just saying…




No comments:
Post a Comment