Sunday, June 29, 2008

Before we get carried away here...

LET me just state for the record that I think Jack Kirby was a brilliant artist and a genius at coming up with mind-blowing concepts. This is the bloke who created (or co-created) most of the Marvel Universe, DC's Fourth World, the Eternals, Captain America, romance comics, Fighting American, etc. etc.

However, there's something else I cannot emphasise enough...

JACK KIRBY COULDN'T WRITE FOR SHIT.

There. I said it. It's out there. Anyone who claims otherwise (yeah, I'm looking at some of you contributors to The Jack Kirby Collector) is seriously fucking deluded. New Gods, his late 70s run at Marvel, Captain Victory, that godawful Hunger Dogs graphic novel.......all of it was badly-written rubbish.

Jack was an ARTIST, an IDEAS MAN, but not a WRITER.

This blog celebrates Jack Kirby's great art and ideas...nothing else.

No comments: